CLR – Common Lnaguage Runtime
– CLR is the Foundation of the .NET Framwork and Heart of the .NET Framwork.
– The Common Language Runtime (CLR) is an Execution Environment.
– All .Net Source code is compiled to MSIL or IL with the help of CLR.
– The main function of Common Language Runtime (CLR) is to convert the Managed Code into native code and then execute the Program.
The Common Language Runtime (CLR) uses Just In Time(JIT) compiler to converts Intermediate Language (MSIL) to Native code/ Machine code on demand at application run time.
The Common Language Runtime (CLR) environment is also called a managed environment, because all Managed code runs inside the environment of CLR.
Functionality of CLR During the execution of the program:
- Memory management
- Thread management
- Security management
- Garbage Collection (GC)
- Code safety verifications