The Microsoft .Net Framework is a platform that provides tools and technologies for develop powerful Web Applications, Windows Application.
The main two components of .Net Framework are:
- CLR – Common Language Runtime
- BCL – Base Class Library OR .net Framework Class Library (FCL)
.Net Framework Diagram
CLR – Common Language Runtime
- CLR is the Foundation of the .NET Framework.
- CLR is the Heart of the .NET Framework.
- The Common Language Runtime (CLR) is an Execution Environment.
- The main function of Common Language Runtime (CLR) is to convert the Managed Code into Native code and then execute the Program.
- The Common Language Runtime (CLR) uses Just In Time (JIT) compiler to converts Intermediate Language (MSIL) to Native code/ Machine code.
Functionality of CLR
- Memory management
- Thread management
- Security management
- Garbage Collection (GC)
- Runs the code on different platform
FCL – .Net Framework Class Library
FCL or BCL provide the fundamental building blocks for any application you develop, Web application or Windows application.
The .NET framework provides a set of base class libraries which provide functions and features which can be used with any programming language which implements .NET, such as Visual Basic, C# (or course), Visual C++, etc.
Framework Class Library Namespace
- System.Data – Is the namespace for ADO.NET
- System.IO – Provides connection to file system and the reading and writing data.
- System.Net – Provides access to network protocols such as SSL, HTTP, SMTP and FTP
- System.Text – Provides the String Builder class, String Function
- System.Drawing – Provide graphics support
Related ASP.Net Topics :
Introduction of ASP.Net Technology
Microsoft .Net Framework Versions
Download ASP.Net C# Website Project
If you liked this asp.net post, then please subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more asp.net video tutorials.
We hope that this asp.net post helped you to understand about .Net Framework.
Next, We will learn about different .Net Framework versions.
1 thought on “What is .Net Framework?”
Great information regarding .Net framework described in simple way